corpus-paul - Re: beginner's guide to the 'new perspective'?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark Goodacre" <M.S.GOODACRE AT bham.ac.uk>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: beginner's guide to the 'new perspective'?
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 14:48:19 GMT

On 19 May 99 at 10:01, Jonathan Ryder wrote:

> What I'm really looking for are answers to questions like: what was old
> perspective? What are essential points of new perspective? What are main
> arguments for and against? Are there any subtle (or not so subtle)
> variations on either old or new of which I need to be aware?

A good introduction is the following:

James D. G. Dunn, ‘The New Perspective on Paul: Paul and the Law’, in Karl P.
Donfried (ed.), The Romans Debate (Rev. and expanded edition, Edinburgh: T & T
Clark, 1991), pp. 299-308

I seem to recall seeing the same or similar in Dunn's Romans commentary (Word
Series) but don't have a copy of that on my shelf.

Mark
Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk
Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
Aseneth Home Page
Recommended New Testament Web Resources