corpus-paul - Re: II Corinthians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jim Hester" <hester AT jasper.uor.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: II Corinthians
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:49:13 -0700

In several postings David Amador has referred to a paper he presented at the
meeting of the Paul Seminar of the Westar Institute last March. I have
posted a pre-print draft of that paper on my web-site:
http://rhetjournal.uor.edu

I am sorry about the formatting of the paper. I elected to post it in HTML
and translating the format from Word for Windows to Mac to HTML gave me
problems. I finally got it to the point where it could be read -- more or
less -- or downloaded in some form.

For those interested in reading more about the debate on historical
criticism versus(?) rhetorical criticism, let me recommend three books.

J. D. H. Amador, Academic Constraints in Rhetorical Criticism of the New
Testament. (JSNT Supp. 124) Sheffield, 1999.

Steven Mailloux, Reception Histories: Rhetoric, Pragmatism, and American
Cultural Politics. Cornell University, 1998.

Victor Vitanza, Negation, Subjectivity, and the History of Rhetoric. State
University of New York, 1997.

You might also find the debate in Alan Gross & William Keith (eds)
Rhetorical Hermeneutics: Invention and Interpretation in the Age of Science
(State University of New York, 1997) an interesting read!

Finally, two very intriguing collections supplement the issues: Lenore
Langsdorf and Andrew Smith (eds), Recovering Pragmatism's Voice (State
University of New York, 1995); and N. Katherine Hayles (ed) Chaos and Order:
Complex Dynamics in Literature and Science (University of Chicago, 1991).

(Not your typical summer reading, I admit, but then, there is the aphorism
in my signature!)
Jim Hester "Never be afraid to try something new.
736 Buckingham Drive Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Redlands, CA 92374 Professionals built the Titanic."
(909) 792-0533 hester AT uor.edu