corpus-paul - Re: corpus-paul digest: May 06, 1999

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: corpus-paul digest: May 06, 1999
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 11:38:32 -0500

gds AT dor.kaiser.org wrote:

> Folks:
>
> I am doing a summer intensive course on general hermeneutics. Does
> anybody know of any books/essays/articles that track a specific text
> and its interpretation through it's major exegetical phases, i.e.,
> through the centuries? All I need is a few passages that are tracked
> in this way to show some of the ways "reader response" has always been
> with us, though the criticism has not. I'm an OT person by trade, but
> this is an OT/NT course, so it can be either way. Years ago, I think
> I remember I.H. Marshall or somebody doing something like this
> somewhere with Luke 15. But, I'm looking for any comprehensive
> dealing with a text or two.

This is one of the features of Ulrich Luz's commentary on Matthew, but it is
not, so
far as I know, something that figures largely in commentaries on Paul. Of
course,
there are books--or sections within books--on certain Pauline topics, say,
"justification" and "righteousness" that do this. Jimmy Dunn's little
"Justification"
is one such example. And John Reumann's _Righteousness in the New Testament_
(with
introduction.
Then, of course, our own Neil Elliott does a bang up job in his _Liberating
Paul_of
looking at how certain texts in Paul, as well as the apostle himself, has been
domesticated.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
--