corpus-paul - RE: Apocalyptic

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Apocalyptic
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 12:27:12 -0400

Quoting from J.J. Collins, The Apocalyptic Imagination, "an apocalypse is
defined as a genre of revelatory literature with a narrative framework, in
which a revelation is mediated by an otherworldly being to a human
recipient, disclosing a transcendent reality which is both temporal, insofar
as it envisages eschatological salvation, and spatial insofar as it involves
another supernatural world."

I think it is important to remember that apocalypse and apocalyptic refer to
literary documents not to movements or to people. Paul's letters are not
examples of apocalyptic even tho he mentions that he went to Heaven.

This has nothing to do with the belief that God would save the Jews from
foreign oppressors. I think most everyone believed that. The war against
Rome would not have been started by Eleazar (the Sadducee) and supported by
the majority of the populace if they did not believe that God would protect
the temple and the city from Rome. This belief is not what is meant by
apocalyptic.

Liz

Lisbeth S. Fried
Department of Hebrew and Judaic Studies