corpus-paul - Re: Pauline authorship of the Pastorals

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: George Goolde <goolde AT mtnempire.net>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu (corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu)
  • Subject: Re: Pauline authorship of the Pastorals
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 10:01:46 -0700

At 12:37 PM 5/3/1999 -0700, you wrote:

David, you wrote:

>I'll not bother with the logical and historical fallacies of the last
>part, but as a doubter, let me respond to the question of why I care.
>One gets a far different picture of Paul with the Pastorals than
>without. The Paul of the undisputed letters is passionate, apocalyptic,
>innovative, and remarkable open toward women. All this is lacking in
>the Pastorals. To include the Pastorals in one's reconstruction of Paul
>would radically alter that reconstruction (or perhaps I should say
>"reactionarily" alter, since this Paul is much more suited to the
>traditional values of the Greco-Roman world). Anyone interested in
>knowing Paul must resolve the issues of authorship (which, incidentally,
>are far more complex than the modern dichotomy of whether writing X is
>or is not from Paul). That, at least, is why I care. But isn't this all
>material from an introductory class on Paul?
>
>David

I admit that including the pastorals may somewhat - or as you feel, greatly
- alter your reconstruction of Paul. As I explained in my post to Sheila,
I practice canonicity before I practice exegesis. That is, I attempt to
determine the corpus and then Itry to deal with its ramifications. I do
understand that to be considered the "Word of God" a writing must be
authentic, thatis, it mustbe what it purports to be. If the PE were not
authored by Paul, then whoever authored lied about their source, hence they
do not qualify as "holy men of God" according to 2 Peter 1:21.

This is why I questioned why anyone who rejects Pauline authorship would
care who wrote them: By my standards (not necessarily yours) they would be
disqualified.

Do you agree with this thinking?

George

George A. Goolde
Professor, Bible & Theology
Southern California Bible College & Seminary

>http://www.wright.edu/~dbarr/
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: goolde AT mtnempire.net
>$subst('Email.Unsub')

George