corpus-paul - Re: Pauline authorship of the Pastorals

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D." <smcginn AT jcu.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pauline authorship of the Pastorals
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 09:34:09 -0400

George Goolde wrote:

> There is so much speculation as to various hypotheses of the human
> authorship of the
> Pastoral Epistles. If thereis indeed as much doubt as their appears to be
> as to
> their authenticity, I wonder why such doubters would care who wrote them or
> what
> they said.

"Doubters," as you call us, care who wrote the PE precisely because
determining
authorship, dating, and provenance are intricately linked to determining
_what_ the
letters are intended to teach.

> To put this another way, if the contents of the PE are worth believing and
> acting
> upon <snip>

How are we to know what the CONTENTS ARE if we have not established the
CONTEXT?
E.g., if the church offices discussed in the PE are being established by Paul
_de
novo_, the letters tell us something quite different than if they are being
proposed
(by a follower of Paul two generations later) as an alternative to a
pre-existing set
of church offices -- which is suggested, e.g., by the drastic reduction of
widows from
the church payroll and the 100% increase in salary for the presbyters (1 Tim
5:3-18).

Sheila

--
Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
Associate Professor

"It didn't take long to see morality as the quickest way to avoid
self-loathing."
Sue Grafton, "L" is for Lawless (New York: Holt, 1995), 205.

begin:vcard
n:Ph.D.;Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
tel;fax:216-397-4518
tel;work:216-397-3087
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:John Carroll University
version:2.1
email;internet:smcginn AT jcu.edu
title:Associate Professor of Religious Studies
x-mozilla-cpt:;17952
fn:Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
end:vcard