corpus-paul - Re: Pauline authorship of the Pastorals

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Stevan Davies" <miser17 AT epix.net>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Pauline authorship of the Pastorals
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 17:35:36 -0500

> On 04/30/99, ""Stevan Davies" <miser17 AT epix.net>" wrote:
>
> > [snip] I get the impression that Acts is often dated
> > to the end of the first century, but it's rarely clear why this should
> > be.

Dave Hindley
> I would imagine the main reason is that it its dedication to Theophilus
> resembles those made by Josephus to his patron Epaphroditus in the
> Antiquities, his Autobiography, etc., all dated to around 95 CE. This is
> strengthened by the fact that the account purports to be an historical
> account, but appears to have the intent of augmenting Josephus' Antiquities
> by placing early Christian figures within Josephus' historical framework
> (which otherwise makes no mention of them).

This is the first I've heard of either of these arguments. The first
is surely flawed unless we have reason to believe that Josephus,
and only Josephus, wrote a dedication of this sort. The second
just sounds crazy... but I could be convinced to the contrary
if you'd be kind enough to provide additional argumentation.

Steve Davies
College Misericordia