corpus-paul - Re: (To Nanos) DIKAIOSUNH and Jews-Gentile Relations

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "moon-ryul jung" <moon AT saint.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: (To Nanos) DIKAIOSUNH and Jews-Gentile Relations
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:38:9

Kishore wrote:

> Dear Mr. Mark and dear Mr. Moon,
>
> The discussion you both had on Dikaiosunh was interesting. What I found was
> that it was like a play between two who like to play.
>
> In my opinion, it is clear that Paul is referring to the contrast-situation
> found with the Jews. Paul is not ambigous here or anywhere in this epistle
> about the reason which he mentions here, as to what is THE requirement for
> the salvation.

Dear Kishore,

I am humbly and honestly trying to understand why Paul criticised Judaism,
the
faith system of those Jews who did not accept Christ. I think neither Mark
nor I has any question about "THE requirement for salvation". It is faith
in
Christ. I do not understand why you thought you needed to state that fact.

I think the issue Mark and I was discussing is really important
to understand Paul. But it seems that our discussion confused you.
So, let me briefly summarize the context of our discussion. I hope
that it would you to see what is at stake here.

Sanders showed quite convincingly that Judaism did NOT teach legalism or
salvation based on one's merits or works, as the traditional Reformation
theology taught. In Judaism, the people observed the Law in response to the
grace of God who brought them into the convenant with
him. In sum, keeping the Law was the requirement for staying in the
convenant,
but not the entrance requirement.

This conclusion raises the question, why then did Paul criticise Judaism?
Sanders says: because it was not Christianity. Because the new age came
through Christ, Judaism no longer holds and the Jews should have accepted
Christ. But they didn't, so Paul criticised Judaism for that. In this
view,
there is nothing wrong with Judaism in itself, it was a legitimate way of
relating to God. What was wrong with it is that it was not Christianity.

But there are those including myself, who are not satisfied with
such dogmatic explanation. If Paul rejected Judaism, there should have
been
some logical reason for it. Dunn is a prime example who tried to find
what was the fault of Judaism other than legalism. It was adherence to
identity marks such as circumcision and eating regulations. According to
Dunn, it was adherence to identity marks, which make a person Jewish,
that was the fault of Judaism. It led the Jews unable to submit the
righteousness of God, that is, to accept Christ.

In a sense Dunn is between Sanders and those who think that Judaism
as decribed by Sanders is still a sort of legalism, a mixture of
grace-based
salvation and work-based salvation. This is the context in which I raise
the
question, why did Paul criticise Judaism and specifically its
understanding
of the Law?

Now quite unexpectedly (at least to me), Mark claims that Paul did NOT
criticise Judaism. He seems to say that what Paul criticised (both in
Galatian and Romans) was Jewish position that Gentiles should pass
through the proselyte conversion process, i.e. should become Jew
(in addition to faith in Christ), in order to fully enter the convenant
with God. This was a sort of in-house debate. In this debate, Paul
said something which might have been considered severe criticism on
Judaism and the Law (especially to those who overheard the debate).

As far as I understand, the position of Mark is unique. I guess that
he was able to come up with such a unique and unheard of position on
"Paul and the Law" because he is a Jewish person who study Paul (as
he alluded in one of his posts responding to my post). I want to learn
from Mark, because he says something I have never heard. I think
it would be amazing if he could explain all the negative statements of
Paul
on Judaism and the Law, but still could say that Paul did not criticise
Judaism and the Law.

I hope that the above explanation for the context of the debate between
Mark and me helps you understand it is not just a "play between two
who likes to play".

Respectfully,
Moon

Moon-Ryul Jung