corpus-paul - RE: (To Nanos) DIKAIOSUNH and Jews-Gentile Relations

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "moon-ryul jung" <moon AT saint.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: RE: (To Nanos) DIKAIOSUNH and Jews-Gentile Relations
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 4:58:52

Dear Mark, it would be exciting to experience yet another shift of
paradigm! But to be successful, the shift of paradigm needs
stubborn opponents. Let me play that role for the sake of arguments,
at the least.

[Moon]
>What about Rom 9:32: Why? Because they did not persue it by faith,
>but as if it were by works (hOTI OUK EK PISTEWS ALL WS EX ERGWN)?

[Mark]
What is your question? It seems to me that Paul is explaining the response
to gentile inclusion, will it be by works (i.e., proselyte conversion, not
the doing of Law by Jewish people) or by miraculous inclusion by faith
of/in Christ?

[Moon]
I do not understand your comments. Rom 9:32 provides to the fact
that ISRAHL DE DIWKWN NOMON DIKAIOSUNHS EIS NOMON OUK EFQASEN
(Israel who was seeking the law of righteousnes did not attain the law).

Paul said that they failed to attain the law of righteousness,
BECAUSE they did not seek it OUK EK PISTEWS ALL' WS EX ERGWN
(not by faith, but as if by works). Here the issue is NOT about
Gentile inclusion, whether by faith of/in Christ or
by proselyte conversion, BUT about why the Jews themselves failed
to attain the law of righteousness.

I also think that ERGWN refers to identity marks of Jews, not doing of the
law. But the context seems to indicate that the adherence to the
identity marks caused Jews to seek the law OUK EK PISTEWS.
So, why do you think that the section including 9:32 has to do with
Jewish response to Gentile inclusion, not with their own fate?

Respectfully

Moon-Ryul Jung
Assistant Professor
Dept of Computer Science