corpus-paul - Holy from his mother's womb

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Chris Cutler" <Chrisc AT powercall.co.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Holy from his mother's womb
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 22:53:53 +0100

Some 25 years ago my eldest son was born without a foreskin. Not being
Jewish this was no big deal for us, and judging from the casual reaction of
the midwife neither serious or particularly unusual medically.

Now I have been studying Paul it occurs to me that this might be a simple
explanation for Paul's description of himself being "Holy from his mother's
womb" Would something as prosaic as this be seen differently by a first
century Jew, or did Paul mean something entirely different?

I'd appreciate any thoughts from our learned list subscribers.

Chris Cutler
"Auditeur Libre"

What liberates is the knowledge of who we were, what we became; where we
were, whereinto we have been thrown; whereto we speed, wherefrom we are
redeemmed; what birth is, and what rebirth." (Exc. Theod. 78.2)