corpus-paul - Re: Gal 1:16 and Rom 1:19

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Ronald Troxel <rltroxel AT facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gal 1:16 and Rom 1:19
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 13:03:51 -0500

Lloyd Gaston wrote:
>Sorry to be so late in entering this conversation. Indeed, "context is
>virtually everything" (Ron Traxel). Over a century ago Lightfoot
>maintained that the context of Gal 1:16 was not Paul's interiority but his
>mission and that therefore EN EMOI ought to be understood as "through me."
>I am still not convinced that he was not right.

That's an option I have considered, but have had reservations also, since I cannot find any corroboration of EN + dative expressing agent, even though it is used for means. I have also considered "in my case," which comes close to agent in this context. Taking that tack, the initial clause would be even more tightly bound with {i}INA EUAGGELIZOMAI AUTON EN TOIS EQNESIN, the latter not constituting a subsequent act, but the content of APOKALUYAI TON {h}UION AUTOU EN EMOI.

At the end of the day, however, the dative of indirect object seems to me more likely with APOKALUYAI, and John Dickson's notice of EN EMOI as indirect object in Rom 1:19 bolsters that option.

Ron Troxel
Ronald L. Troxel, Ph.D.
Department of Hebrew and Semitic Studies
1340 Van Hise Hall
1220 Linden Dr.
Madison, WI 53706