compostteas - Re: [Compostteas] Feeding tea

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Jeff Lowenfels" <jeff AT gardener.com>
  • To: "Lloyd Charles" <lcharles AT webfront.net.au>, "compostteas" <Compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Scott Alexander" <daylily AT bigpond.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Compostteas] Feeding tea
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:30:45 -0800

Lloyd and others:

First, again, Lloyd, thanks for the look at your recipe, The nutrients you used are both bacterial and fungal. The compost is fungal, but the garden soil must be bacterial if you took it from the surface.  Whew, what is going on in that tank? Some real duking it out between the fungi and bacteria to gain dominance! I couldn't help wonder what your microbial tests look like!

I notice you used finely screened, fungal compost. My experience is that  this kind of treatment, kills the fungi unless you let the compost sit for a while after it has been screened. Any similar results on your end?  It looks a lot better and it is a lot cleaner, sure, but that is a big, big trade-off, IF you are trying to make a fungally dominated tea.  It is hard enough to get a good fungal tea without starting off at a disadvantage!

Anyone else had this experience? And what about this practice-- we  do it sooner or later ( I have had four off line questions wherein this was done)  of taking  uncomposted leaf litter  that has obvious signs of fungus and throwing it into a brewer.  I know I have done it!  I was reviewing some compost stuff today and I am wondering if this is a "safe" or even a "scientific"  thing to do to our teas?  What do you think? Anyone KNOW?

Cheers,

Jeff