community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: ccpublisher question and holiday greetings

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT yergler.net>
  • Cc: Glenn Otis Brown <glenn AT creativecommons.org>, Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>, Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: ccpublisher question and holiday greetings
  • Date: 26 Dec 2004 05:37:29 -0800

Hi, Nathan: That's great news. I look forward with anticipation to
your upcoming rpm release. And I am sure Olu is also:

Olu is a singer/songwriter in Africa, someplace. I heard from him last
a few weeks ago. He was leaving Ghana, and headed for South Africa, in
hopes of pursuing his music career. We met almost two years ago, when
he emailed Open Studios about helping him with his career. He is one of
the untold millions around the world that have to choose between lunch
and paying for email. He has no computer, but with lots of hard work
and effort (and many missed lunches), we now have accomplished a small
feat in his being able to collaborate with an Independent Artist here in
the United States and create a CD with his original song.

With the wonderful work you are doing, we hope to be able to help the
Olus of the world license with creativecommons.org and upload their
works to the archive.org's repository, and register that location with
tools/sites such as commoncontent.org, sharedmusic.org, gnomoradio.org,
webjay.com, radioaid.com, SONG STORM and others. We'd like to be able
to have access to the databank you use for the critical steps of
licensing with creativecommons.org and uploading to archive.org.
Hopefully, that databank will be available through rmp source code. Is
that correct? The reason I ask, is that we will need to work hard to
come up with a form that folks in non-English-speaking countries, and
developing nations, will be able to feel comfortable with. The idea is
to minimize the frustrations of our volunteers that will be working
one-on-one with musicians and artists to complete the forms properly.
Happy New Year,
Tom