chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] August meeting agenda and materials

  • From: Jeff York <jyork AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: "chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org" <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] August meeting agenda and materials
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 09:33:39 -0400

Commission members,

Attached is the Agenda for our Wednesday, August 12th meeting.  Regarding the Loeb materials, many of you are familiar with the materials and some of those materials are included in your handbook, but for newer commissioners, I have either included as an attachment those materials or provided a link to our web site, so you could familiarize yourself with them for the meeting.  Please call me if you have any questions.  JY

Annotated List of Attachments Sent to Loeb Consultants

Themes from the Arts organization Listening Sessions (attached)

Document outlines main themes and issues related to cultural asset development based on a series of dialogues with cultural organizations on the university campus and in the Town of Chapel Hill in mid-2009

CH Public Arts Commission (CHPAC) Town Transition Report Memo (in commission notebook)

Document relates to the transition of the separate 501c3 public arts organization being brought under Town administrative structure and why.  This was accomplished in June 2008 and has led to an expended definition of public arts by the Office and the Commission.  This represents the beginning of process to develop a cultural arts program for the Town.

Public Arts/Parks Merge Memo (attached)

This memo outlines reasons for locating the Public Arts Office within the Parks and Recreation Department and begins to outline the process for cultural program development through the creation of a Division of Cultural Arts and the efforts at cultural facility development as well.  Administrative restructuring was initiated July 1, 2009.  A 1 year transition plan for the development of a Division of Cultural Arts is being planned.

Office/CHPAC Programs (attached)

This document describes the current program offering through the Office of Public Arts and the Commission.

New direction Statement (attached)

This is a broad position statement developed by me to introduce Commission members to a potential new role.

Office of Public Arts/CHPAC 2008-09 Successes, Trends and Priorities for the 2009-10 Year (attached)

Self explanatory.  This was created prior to the Office being located within Parks and Recreation.  Some priorities will change.

Excerpts from the Public Art Contextual Plan (http://www.townofchapelhill.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=3994)

Although this plan has not been officially adopted, mainly due to the economic climate, the importance of this plan is 1. the plan was developed at the request of Town Council, so it shows the strong desire to incorporate the arts into the Town’s activities and infrastructure, and 2. it creates a roadmap for cultural program development.

Economic Development Strategy Statement (http://www.townofchapelhill.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=340)

Although concerned with business retention and downtown economic development, the desire to attract and retain creative businesses and people goes hand in hand with the efforts at cultural program and facility development.

2009-10 CH Official Visitor’s Guide

New Downtown Chapel Hill Brochure

CH Official Visitors Map

Fun Facts about CH & Carrboro

Town Service Booklet

  • [Chpac-staff] August meeting agenda and materials, Jeff York, 08/07/2009