ch-scene - Re: The Bain Project Fundraiser: March 7th- 10 bands, 10 Hours, 5

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: The Bain Project Fundraiser: March 7th- 10 bands, 10 Hours, 5
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:53:08 -0500

It's more that the real event was that Greg had actually run out there to try to prevent the tow truck from towing some of his patrons' cars, and had gotten into an altercation with the tow truck driver. All of which is actually pretty interesting, and might have made for a better post than what they actually posted. If you're gonna be a gossip blog, be a more *proactive* gossip blog, and chase down some juicy stories ;-)

The Big Boss thing, if I recall correctly, was a post in which they misheard some bit of news about the availability of certain Big Boss beers at Raleigh Times (perhaps they were cutting back on the selection of bottles, I don't remember now) and extrapolated that into a post claiming that Raleigh Times was pulling all Big Boss beers. Which wasn't true.

What typically happens is that people quickly comment to correct the inaccuracies, but I kinda feel like it's becoming a pattern. Just yesterday they posted a story titled "Matador to Release Whatever Brains 7"" -- the actual *text* of the post got it right, talking about how Matador's distro has picked up the WB 7" for distribution. But the title was wrong, and conveyed a *very* different story.

So I posted a comment, and they changed it, but they didn't actually post anything to say "whoops!" -- they just changed it.

I understand that some folks will argue that part of the Web2.0 revolution is the crowdsourcing of things like fact-checking & editing, but, uh, c'mon.

I don't really have anything against them -- it all seems very Inside-Raleigh and I don't really care much either way, since I find Raleigh to be pretty baffling at this point. But I *did* find it kind of funny that David had laid into Xopher for what was either a justifiable post of his own press release, *or* (at worst) a simple oversight, when New Raleigh is sort of notorious for similarly simple oversights.

My favorite Raleigh blog is Goodnight Raleigh, but it's not really a news source or anything. Good night photography, though. My *former* favorite Raleigh blog was, of course, rduwtf.com, but they seem to have again gone dark. Sigh.

Ross

Todd Morman wrote:
Beer fetishization isn't my thing, so you'll have to fill me in on the Big Boss episode (can't find it in their archive so maybe they deleted it). But what was non-reality based about the "Greg Hatem Allegedly Struck by Tow-truck" thread? I mean, I laughed that someone thought it was post-worthy, even as gossip, but the snark in the comments covered that just fine, and there were witnesses who saw the incident.

In case anyone cares, my fave Raleigh-based blog right now is No Promise of Safety.

todd October was a good month http://nopromiseofsafety.com/2008/10/ morman