ch-scene - stuff to do, week of January 25, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of January 25, 2009
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 12:06:01 -0500

Sunday, January 25
Bicameral Mind (http://www.myspace.com/bicamind)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

We kick off our 2009 live-music season with a set by local noise/drone outfit Bicameral Mind, aka Bryce Clayton Eiman (himself, various one-offs, Horseback) & Shaun Sandor (Promute). 4:00 p.m. @ 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, January 25
Stratocruiser (http://www.stratocruisermusic.com/)
Colourmusic (http://www.myspace.com/colourmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, January 26
The Ghost of Saturday Nite (http://www.myspace.com/theghostofsaturdaynite)
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Joe Coffee (http://www.myspace.com/joecoffeenyc)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Monday, January 26
Paper Scissors Rocketpack! (http://www.myspace.com/paperrocketpack)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, January 27
The Ghost of Saturday Nite (http://www.myspace.com/theghostofsaturdaynite)
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Joe Coffee (http://www.myspace.com/joecoffeenyc)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, January 28
Thought Speak
Fever and the Fallin' Rain (http://myspace.com/feverandthefallinrain)
On Photon (http://myspace.com/onphotonmusic)
Marvell Building, Durham

Wednesday, January 28
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
The Naked Hearts (http://www.myspace.com/thenakedhearts)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 29
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
The Modern Skirts (http://www.modernskirts.com/)
Josh Moore (http://www.myspace.com/joshuamoore)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 29
Pattern is Movement (http://www.patternismovement.com/)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Despite this being the weekly Local Bands, Local Beers night, only one of these two bands, the Durham indie-rock power trio Hammer No More the Fingers, are locals. Pattern is Movement are an awesome(ly weird) prog-rock duo from Philly, who are very much a love-em or hate-em type of outfit. Or in my case, kind of both at once, but in a good way.

Thursday, January 29
Dexter Romweber (http://www.dexterromweber.com)
Stu Cole
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 29
Virgo 9 (http://www.myspace.com/thevirgonine)
Lollipop Factory (http://www.myspace.com/lollipopfactory)
Aminal Music (http://www.myspace.com/theaminalmusic)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, January 30
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Leaving Venus
Armadillo Grill @ the Bryan Center, Duke W. Campus, Durham

This is another in the Duke Campus Concert Series, meaning it's free, and it starts somewhere around 5:30 at the Armadillo Grill located inside Duke's Bryan Center, aka the student union building.

Maple Stave you're probably familiar with by now: they make propulsive mathy gtr/bass/drums indie-rock, with the occasional blurted vocal.

Gray Young are on the vanguard of the New Shoegaze movement; their songs either start slow and build, or start fast and decelerate.

Friday, January 30
Lake Inferior (http://www.myspace.com/lakeinferiormusic)
Lafcadio (http://www.myspace.com/lafcadiorocks)
Apollo (http://www.myspace.com/apolloandrewrooney)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for the first batch of releases from the UNC student-run Vinyl Records (student-run, as far as I know, in the same sense that Duke's Small Town Records is: as official student organizations, with on-campus office space). What does it mean that two of the Triangle's large universities have spawned record labels within the past 2 years, two of the darkest years for "the music business" since the invention of sound recording?

Friday, January 30 - Sunday February 1
Raleigh Undercover (http://www.raleighundercover.com/)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is a festival inspired by the classic Great/Kings Cover-Up, wherein many fine local bands donned ridiculous wigs & moustaches and learned short sets by some of *their* favorite bands. Punches were rarely pulled: over the years, the Cover-Up saw blistering sets by such supposed untouchables as Big Black, Danzig, Jesus Lizard and Fugazi, as well as more standard tribute-band fare such as Tom Petty & Eddie Money (and, inexplicably, a year of two Cures).

The demise of Kings left a lot of raw nerves *and* giant gaping hole where the Cover-Up used to be. This festival (renamed Raleigh Undercover in deference to those raw nerves) is taking its best shot at filling some of that gaping hole. Here's the lineup (as always, who's covering whom is a closely-guarded secret):

Friday Jan. 30
Embarrassing Fruits
Bright Young Things
Whalewatchers
Left Outlet
Valient Thorr

Saturday Jan. 31
I Was Totally Destroying It
Static Minds
The Nevers
The T’s
Hearts and Daggers

Sunday Feb. 1
Mike Roy
Gray Young
Skillet Gilmore/Marc Smith/Bartholomew Brothers
one more act TBA.

Friday, January 30
Kingsbury Manx (http://www.thekingsburymanx.com/)
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
The Pinhook, Durham

Schooner make a strange & beautiful form of indie-pop that's evenly split between morose croony beauty and sped-up spazzy yelping, sometimes within the same song. It works, and well.

The Kingsbury Manx have been around for the better part of a decade, making stretched-out pastoral indie-pop -- lots of repeating arpeggios, sustained organ notes, and whispery vox. It's gorgeous, and immediately recognizable as their own.

Between bands, there'll be DJ sets.

Friday, January 30
Scott Miller and the Commonwealth (http://www.thescottmiller.com/)
Dave Wilson (http://www.myspace.com/davewilson1974)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Saturday, January 31
Annuals (http://www.myspace.com/annuals)
Jessica Lea Mayfield (http://www.myspace.com/jlmayfield)
What Laura Says (http://www.whatlaurasays.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, January 31
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
The Homewreckers (http://www.myspace.com/jackandjillhomewrecker)
The Pinhook, Durham

The big news of 2008 (some of it, anyway) was the announcement that Durham's Churchkey Records had corralled the Loners into recording & releasing a follow-up to their debut, which came out back in the dark ages of ~2002 or so. Tonight they join their Churchkey labelmates the Dry Heathens (a band whose fondness for the Replacements can truly be listed as a plus), and fellow Durhamites the Homewreckers.

Saturday, January 31
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
The Travesties (http://www.myspace.com/travestiesnc)
Fan Tan (http://www.myspace.com/fantanrock)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Travesties are Tim, Vespah & Viva from the original Jett Rink lineup, plus Doug White on keys and Chuck Garrison on drums. They're a little less spazzy & a little more soulful than Jett Rink.

Transportation you've probably seen or heard of by now. Fan Tan started in Chapel Hill but then relocated to New York.

Saturday, January 31
Clang Quartet (http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet)
Boat Burning (http://www.myspace.com/boatburning)
ODIST (http://www.myspace.com/enjoyodist)
Douglas Ferguson (http://www.myspace.com/douglasferguson)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Boat Burning's Andy Fekete sent this info about the show:

Boat Burning brings together musicians from Chapel Hill's Amps Do Furnish A Room collective, Killer Filler and The Old Ceremony for intense live instrumental improvisation using prepared electric guitars, cello and drums.

Focusing exclusively on live free-form composition, Boat Burning eschews set pieces, which means we are essentially working without a net each time we play out. What you'll hear will be unique, created entirely in the moment ... and then after you've heard it, gone forever. Like so many good things, the music -- spacey/edgy, delicate/brutal, noisy/beautiful "hard ambiance" -- is totally, 100% ephemeral.

Saturday, January 31
The Howlies (http://www.myspace.com/thehowlies)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, February 1
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Caltrop return to WXDU after a triumphant 2008, which saw the release of their debut full-length "World Class," a near-perfect showcase of their fusion of metal wallop and psych/stoner expansiveness. They're one of my favorite bands, and they never fail to astonish in a live setting. Be astonished: 4:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or www.wxdu.org.

Monday, February 2
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
The Howlies (http://www.myspace.com/thehowlies)
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Howlies are a garage-rock band from Atlanta, I believe. Pinche Gringo is the sometimes-1-man, sometimes-2 band of Josh from the Spinns. The Dry Heathens are pissed off, and they're from Durham.

Monday, February 2
Man Will Destroy Himself
Call the Paramedics
Waiting Mortuary
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of January 25, 2009, grady, 01/25/2009