ch-scene - Opening in Saxapahaw on fri.

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Paperhand Puppet <donovan AT paperhand.org>
  • To: <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Opening in Saxapahaw on fri.
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:07:56 -0500

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Paperhand is Thrilled to announce the opening of our new studio/theatre in
saxapahaw, NC. after 2 big weeks of sold out shows in durham we are coming
home. Please read below for details and directions. We are now officially
celebrating our 10th year!
Paperhand Puppet Intervention
in collaboration with
Theatre of Performing Objects
presents...
"Hungry Ghost"
A shadowy tale of the insatiable human condition.

Weaving styles of puppetry together from masks & shadows to marionettes &
bunraku, this colaborative work explores the hellish realms of these darkly mysterious
beings. The Hungry Ghost is found in Buddhist traditions throughout Asia (and the world
in myriad forms.) Hungry Ghosts are the unfortunate souls of greedy or miserly people
who then pay dearly and suffer greatly in the afterlife. Our tale is spun in ancient and
modern times, inticing us all to contemplate our own desires & humanity.
Warning: This show is intended for mature audiences!
Which means... scary, strange and sexual content. You were warned.

Fri, sat and sun Jan. 30th to Feb 8th.

All shows will begin at 8pm.
tickets are $15 (suggested donation) and are available only at the door.
Noone will be turned away for lack of funds, but we do encourage you to
support our work and the space we do it in.
So plan to arrive a little early to get a spot.
There is room for 200 people each night.
Parking is available behind, beside, and in front of the building with
additional parhing at the
saxapahaw general store cafe.
The general store has a wonderful selection of local, organic, foods made
with love by Chef Jeff Barney and the crew there.
So you can now plan an entire evening around the 20 minute drive from carrboro to
the hot bed of roots & culture that is saxapahaw.

Ourspace is a stones throw from the General store on the "town" side of the
river across the st. from the rivermill apts. look for the giant paperhands in front.

Directions:
from chapel hill and carrboro...
Take 54w. towards Greensboro and turn Lt. at Saxapahaw Rd.
Go about 3.5 miles and the Community center will be directly in front of you
before you cross the mighty haw river.

from durham...
Take 15/501 to 54w and go the same as above or...
take 85 s. and go all the way to mebane oaks rd. just past efland.
Go lt at the bottom of the ramp and proceed for about 10 miles till you hit
54 and go straight across. you will then be on saxapahaw church rd. go 3.5
miles and you'll see the giant paperhands in front.

from pittsboro or greensboro...
take 87n (pitts) or 87n (greens) and go till you see the turn for saxapahaw
church rd. rt (p) or Lt. (G). then go about 1.5 to 2 miles and cross the
bridge over the haw. the big brick building will be on the lt. when you get
off the bridge.

There will be some wonderful indian pakoras and tea and cardamum brownies
provided by the ever amazing and generous Vimala Rajendran all 3 nights this
weekend.

As always see more of our work at our website
http://www.paperhand.org/ www.paperhand.org

If you are interested in helping at the door or with merch sales please get
back to us and let us know which night you would like to fill. We can offer
free admission of course as well as a t-shirt.

Thanks so much to every one for helping this dream become a reality.
Donovan and jan

p.s. if you would like to help us pay the rent on our studio/theater,
you can make a tax-deductible check payable to "The Saxapahaw community
chest" (a non-profit org) and give it to us or send it to them at, 1616 Jordan Dr,
Saxapahaw, NC 27340.

  • Opening in Saxapahaw on fri., Paperhand Puppet, 01/26/2009