ch-scene - Re: Request to Audiophiles: Speakers

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ron Thigpen <ron AT fuzzsonic.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Request to Audiophiles: Speakers
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 15:19:19 -0500

grady wrote:

I only have one Squeezebox (the Classic) myself, so I can't really speak to how well multiple boxes sync up their playback under real-world conditions. In theory it works, though . . .

And in practice.

I'm running two SB2s (pre-Classic, same internals) and a Boom+Sub all sync'd up. It works pretty darn well. We can get the whole house rockin': front, back and center. The SBs do my personal library plus internet radio, Pandora, LastFM, etc. All controllable via IR remote, web browser, dedicated color screen remote, or even iPodTouch/iPhone.

The only time we have trouble is when the wireless net gets bodged (neighbors, microwave, etc.). One of these days I'll run Cat6 or try out powerline networking, but really, it's fine the way it is.

Originally the sync was a bit of a work in progress, but recent server releases have really fixed it up.

Also eagerly awaiting the new software client players.

--rt