ch-scene - Re: Request to Audiophiles: Speakers

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Request to Audiophiles: Speakers
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 10:44:37 -0500

Any differences in sound caused by woofer cone materials are going to be dwarfed by the differences imparted by the wall cavities they're mounted in, I suspect. As you're no doubt learning, drivers and crossovers make up only a portion of the cost & complexity of a set of speakers; the design & materials of the enclosures are equally important.

How many speakers are you thinking of buying? How are you planning to run the wire? How many & what kind of distribution amps are you looking at?

And how much of your music is digitized already? If you plan to do a lot of listening to digital music, you might consider something like a set of Squeezeboxes, connected to existing audio systems, or to freestanding powered speakers.

http://www.slimdevices.com

I only have one Squeezebox (the Classic) myself, so I can't really speak to how well multiple boxes sync up their playback under real-world conditions. In theory it works, though . . .

Ross

Monkey Boy wrote:
I am in the process of buying in wall speakers and I wonder if the
differences are between woofer cone materials.

I can get either (or mix):
- Glass Composite 3-Way, Dual Voice Coil ($64)
- Polypropalene 2-Way ($56)
- Kevlar 2-Way ($44)

I want to wire speakers into separate rooms in the house so I can listen to
music in all rooms at a decent level instead of blaring in one and having it
carry into the rest.

Thanks,
Thom