ch-scene - Re: Request to Audiophiles: Speakers

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <cr AT spacelabstudio.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Request to Audiophiles: Speakers
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 14:07:57 -0500

I'd strongly recommend against this. Good speakers are a system with a box cavity designed for your drivers and vice versa. In your plan, you're basically separating out the driver and making your entire attic the box. Let an engineer design your box for you, not your architect. Just buy a decent set of standalone speakers and accept that they will take up some space in your room.

If you really don't want to have to deal with speakers out in your room somewhere, just realize that you're likely sacrificing some sound quality as a trade off.

Chris

Monkey Boy wrote:
Thanks, Ross.
I have two very good AV receivers and I'd hate to sell one just to buy
something else. Right now, one is going directly to the TV and the other I
thought to use as a house stereo, that's why I thought of buying wall
speakers.

First, I'd mount them one to each room in the ceiling where I have nothing
but attic above. To create a chamber, I was planning to use some of my oak
or cherry board scraps to make a box between the rafters and over top of the
speaker. The only unknown is the drywall surface around the speaker. Will it
dampen it too much, will it resonate too much? I dunno...

I have 12AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor cable already to use and I would
basically run them across the attic and down to a junction that would drop
near the receiver.

The receiver can access my networked digital song collection as well as
shoutcast radio stations (teh internets) and over the air radio. (basically:
WKNC, WXDU, and WXYC) I think I can program a software interface that will
allow me to use a remote for each room, on or off, but that's about it for
the budget I have set.

-thom