ch-scene - Re: Anybody ever try Hearos hi-fi earplugs?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Anybody ever try Hearos hi-fi earplugs?
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 11:56:10 -0500

I'm still using my Etymotic Research ER20's, which are *the same thing* as the "hi fidelity" Hearos (Hearos being sort of a catchall earplug marketing company, I guess). Here's the ER website: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

They are by far the best sub-$100 earplugs you can buy. Back when they were more expensive & were mailorder-only, I believed in them so much that I'd do group orders in order to get the bulk discount. There are quite a few local musicians who're still using ER20s that we bulk-ordered.

Thankfully now they're easier to find and cheaper for single orders.

So yes, get 'em! I actually ought to replace mine, as I've almost certainly used them past their supposed usable lifespan.

The only caveat I'll give you about them is that they make my ears itch, but only while they're in. I find that the itching doesn't really kick in until maybe 45 minutes of steady wearing, and luckily the shows I go to mostly consist of multiple 45-minute sets, so it's rarely a problem. Other folks don't seem to get the itchies at all, so YMMV.

Ross

DJ Golf wrote:
The recent Nick Cave concert in Washington DC was the loudest show
I've ever been to, and after 2 days of tinnitus I decided to start
looking for some high-end earplugs that save my hearing without making
the music sound like I've got two wads of rubber foam stuffed in my
ears. I found Hearos online and they're just $14, and they have a few
big musician endorsements. Any feedback (under 115 db please)?