ch-scene - Re: soundproofing for a teenage drummer

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: david gourley <davidg.nospam.news AT verizon.net>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: soundproofing for a teenage drummer
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:27:25 +0200 (CEST)

gmiller.nc AT gmail.com (Gary Miller) put forth the notion
in...148e9da40808280648i3c3e0c02x1a7e1630e46aeb96 AT mail.gmail.com:">news:148e9da40808280648i3c3e0c02x1a7e1630e46aeb96 AT mail.gmail.com:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I think the key issue as it relates to cost is going to be the size of
> the room. My answer to that would be to suggest that you frame out a
> smaller "room within a room" and then pad the heck out of that sucker
> with carpet.
>
> I did this at my house in a bedroom. The room was 12x12. I built a
> smaller "box" (6x6) within that room to house my drums. I spent maybe
> $175 to $200 on lumber. I then got free carpet from craigslist and
> completely covered the inside and out of that smaller
> room-within-a-room.
>
> It's not "soundproof" per se. But, I can bash away, and my wife can
> barely hear it if she walks 10 feet from the house.
>
> Good luck!
> Gary
> p.s. After doing this, then go tell the neighbors to stop being such
> douchebags. :)
>

> 2008/8/28 Jeffrey Herrick <herrickjeffrey AT yahoo.com>:
>> Hey All,
>>
>> My sister lives in Durham and asked if me or my friends know anything
about soundproofing.. which I don't. I did an obligatory search of
alt.music.chapel-hill to see if this has been addressed before.. My weak
searching skillz didn't come up with much. So I throw out to the
collective knowledge. Links or whatever are much appreciated.. The kid
plays in a room above a garage. So I think there are some windows that may
be
>> the main problem, they have tried some sort of sound proofing to them
>> but I don't know what... and the neighbors still called the cops.. seems
the neighbors annoyed by the drums are not very willing compromise. My
sister's query is below...

>> **
>> Our neighbors across the street are having a terrible time with the
>>
>> neighbors behind them regarding their sons drumming. They have now
called

>> the cops twice. And the cops have basically said if anyone finds it
>>
>> disturbing then he can't play- Ever! (and the 15 yo will get the
>>
>> citation and have to go to juvenile court) It is certainly audible
outside

>> the house but we think reasonable for daytime noise. They have taken
some

>> efforts to sound proof the room and would like to do more but they think
it

>> will cost $3,000 with the materials they are researching. Any cheap
>>
>> solutions would be appreciated!***
>>
>> I'm a bit suspicious of durham's finest interpretation of the law.. but
I really know nothing of the legalities of the situation either...

>> Please help the kids to keep rock'n..
>> Jeff

You need massive layers of sheetrock to cut off bass freqs, as carpet is
only good for mid-high freqs.

Real soundproofing is a costly exercise, and the electonic drum idea may be
best for a house surrounded by other houses. The 'room within a room' is
good to a point, but if you can't 'float' it you're almost in the same
boat.

david