ch-scene - Re: soundproofing for a teenage drummer

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Gary Miller" <gmiller.nc AT gmail.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: soundproofing for a teenage drummer
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:48:29 -0400

Hi Jeff,

I think the key issue as it relates to cost is going to be the size of
the room. My answer to that would be to suggest that you frame out a
smaller "room within a room" and then pad the heck out of that sucker
with carpet.

I did this at my house in a bedroom. The room was 12x12. I built a
smaller "box" (6x6) within that room to house my drums. I spent maybe
$175 to $200 on lumber. I then got free carpet from craigslist and
completely covered the inside and out of that smaller
room-within-a-room.

It's not "soundproof" per se. But, I can bash away, and my wife can
barely hear it if she walks 10 feet from the house.

Good luck!
Gary
p.s. After doing this, then go tell the neighbors to stop being such
douchebags. :)