ch-scene - Re: soundproofing for a teenage drummer

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: nebulax <nebulax AT earthling.net>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: soundproofing for a teenage drummer
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 00:33:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 28, 9:40=A0am, herrickjeff... AT yahoo.com (Jeffrey Herrick) wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> My sister lives in Durham and asked if me or my friends know anything abo=
ut soundproofing.. which I don't.=A0 I did an obligatory search of alt.musi=
c.chapel-hill to see if this has been addressed before.. My weak searching =
skillz didn't come up with much.=A0 So I throw out to the collective knowle=
dge. Links or whatever are much appreciated.. The kid plays in a room above=
a garage.=A0 So I think there are some windows that may be
> the main problem, they have tried some sort of sound proofing to them
> but I don=A2t know what... and the neighbors still called the cops.. seem=
s the neighbors annoyed by the drums are not very willing compromise.=A0 My=
sister's query is below...

> **
> Our neighbors across the street are having a terrible time with the
>
> neighbors behind them regarding their sons drumming. =A0They have now cal=
led

> the cops twice. =A0And the cops have basically said if anyone finds it
>
> disturbing then he can't play- Ever! (and the 15 yo will get the
>
> citation and have to go to juvenile court) It is certainly audible outsid=
>
> the house but we think reasonable for daytime noise. They have taken some
>
> efforts to sound proof the room and would like to do more but they think =
it

> will cost $3,000 with the materials they are researching. =A0Any cheap
>
> solutions would be appreciated!***
>
> I'm a bit suspicious of durham's finest interpretation of the law.. but I=
really know nothing of the legalities of the situation either...

> Please help the kids to keep rock'n..
> Jeff
>
> -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill --http://lists.i=
biblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene

Lots of products and info at this site (maybe too many), but it's a
good place to start coming up with ideas for sound management. -
http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/