ch-scene - Re: soundproofing for a teenage drummer

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <chris AT christophermrossi.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: soundproofing for a teenage drummer
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:20:04 -0400

Gary Miller wrote:

p.s. After doing this, then go tell the neighbors to stop being such
douchebags. :)

I think this is the key issue here. The kid isn't bashing away at night while they're trying to sleep, and while audible, the drums are probably not what most people would consider to be disturbing. The neighbors, in short, are assholes.

Actually soundproofing a room is really hard. I have all sorts of acoustic treatment up at the studio, but that's for taming internal reflections, not for soundproofing, really.

A choice that I would look at is moving the drums to a different room in the house--one without a window that faces the asshole neighbors. A room with as few outside walls as possible is preferable. This is far easier than trying to soundproof the wall that faces the neighbors. If you must sound proof, the main thing you'll want to do is cover the windows as that's where most sound is going to leak from. Unless the walls are just not insulated, they shouldn't be transmitting too much sound.

I would also maybe look up noise ordinances and know what the law actually is. If there is a statutory SPL limit, buy a Radio Shock sound meter and measure the actual sound and see if you're over the limit. If you're not, have a lawyer write a letter telling your neighbors to fuck off.

Another option, that's not cheap, but is no more expensive than a Quixotic exercise in soundproofing a room, is get a set of electronic drums for practicing. Then the teenager in question can practice with headphones and save the loud acoustic drums for band practice. A prominent and very well respected local drummer absolutely loves his electronic drums. He can practice at midnight and no one is disturbed.

I can't remember if it's Sam Ash or Guitar Center that took over the old Mars Music building on Capital in Raleigh, but last time I was there they literally had like a dozen different electronic drums kits, ranging from the very basic introductory kits to full blown high end stuff. The way technology is these days, the sound the produce can be as realistic or not as you like.

Chris
--
Spacelab Recording Studio +1 919 403 5502
http://spacelabstudio.com -- My email address is 'cr' at this domain