ch-scene - Amplifier Magazine - Payola and Deception

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: nathan oliver <surferrosa AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Amplifier Magazine - Payola and Deception
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:25:30 -0700 (PDT)

Well. This is more related to mailing out to press.

Last spring, Amplifier Magazine invited Pox World Empire to send 10
copies of Nathan Oliver S/T and 10 copies of Audubon Park's Teenage
Horses in for a promotional contest. When people sign up for the
print magazine, they get to choose a disc. We would get about a
quarter page ad in the magazine, and some easy promotion online as
well.

Well basically, we aren't even sure if this edition went to print
(from California to New York no one could find it), and the magazine
became online only immediately after. (Probably from no one caring).

So we got scammed out of 20 CD's + shipping. We later found out they
have a history of blatant payola [
http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/01/amplifier_magaz.html
]. I want this information in the public domain so people can make an
informed decision before they send to Amplifier Magazine.

Anyone been screwed by press?

nathan
http://www.nathan-oliver.com

  • Amplifier Magazine - Payola and Deception, nathan oliver, 06/27/2008