ch-scene - Re: amp recommendation?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: chris AT illuminatiaudio.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: amp recommendation?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:40:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 13, 4:19 pm, rchrd... AT gmail.com wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a small amp for recording that isn't bank-
> breakingly expensive? Doesn't have to be tube; doesn't have to pretend
> to produce death metal distortion. In fact, a small solid state amp
> would be fine if it actually sounded decent. I'd like to avoid digital
> amp emulation (Line 6 style). There seem to be a ton of new amps on
> the market and I was wondering if anyone had had positive experiences
> with any of them. Thanks.

How much is bank-breakingly expensive?

Sounds like you're looking for something new, but it's hard to beat an
old Fender Princeton. You might find an early 70's silverface
Princeton for $600-ish if you look around. I have a '70 that I bought
for $100 in1983. Best music equipment investment I ever made.
Apparently Fender is making a new model, based on the old circuitry,
called a "Princeton Recording Amp" but I think it's like $1100. Old
little Gibson Skylarks can be cool too, and you can get them fairly
cheap (for "vintage" stuff, at least - like $200 - I got a GA5 for
under $100 about 5 years ago).