ch-scene - Re: amp recommendation?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: amp recommendation?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 23:47:21 -0400

My tastes run towards tube amps which are probably more expensive than you want to pay, but some possibilities come to mind in the $100-300 price range:

1) Fender vibrochamp, silver face--it's exactly the same circuit as the black face but people pay less for it because the face it is silver. Collectors are weird. I picked one up many years ago for around $200.
2) Apparently the cheap tiny orange solid state practice amps are kind of cool sounding. I heard one many, many years ago that I thought was cool.
3) Vox Tonelab is one of those emulation boxes, but it has a tube in it and it actually sounds really good for fake. They have the same basic technology in amp form as well, that isn't too expensive, and a friend of mine says they sound cool.
4) Book a day at a studio with several great sounding guitars and guitar amps. Maybe you know of one? ;)
5) I have a smll Garnet tube combo, hand wired thing, that I'd probably sell you for under $500.

chris

rchrdlln AT gmail.com wrote:
Can anyone recommend a small amp for recording that isn't bank-
breakingly expensive? Doesn't have to be tube; doesn't have to pretend
to produce death metal distortion. In fact, a small solid state amp
would be fine if it actually sounded decent. I'd like to avoid digital
amp emulation (Line 6 style). There seem to be a ton of new amps on
the market and I was wondering if anyone had had positive experiences
with any of them. Thanks.