ch-scene - RE: Good article about music biz...

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Chris Clark" <chris AT ti-law.com>
  • To: "'RTP-area local music and culture'" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: Good article about music biz...
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:46:36 -0400

This is the model that I have always felt was the best answer to turning
illegal downloading / "piracy" into a viable revenue model for artists,
labels, songwriters and publishers. Jim Griffin has been promoting this
model for ten years or more. You are correct that it is far from perfect,
but I think it has the best chance of any solution I have seen of creating a
really big pool of money from downloads and dividing that money somewhat
fairly.

I think you could track plays/downloads a couple of ways - my hunch is that
the big players (major labels and publishers) will advocate a sampling
methodology - i.e. track a small percentage of downloads and pay based on
the fiction that the sample accurately represents the whole. On the other
hand, the closer we can get to tracking actual plays/downloads, the better
off the independent artists and labels will be.

I think the only way this works is if it's mandatory for all ISP
subscribers. If you don't want to download media from the Internet (which I
think once this gets implemented and people realize its possibilities will
be almost nobody) you still have to pay the fee (kind of like how a portion
of your taxes pay for schools whether you have 5 kids or none). I think the
price point of the added fee will make a big difference here - most people
won't mind if the fee is fifty cents, but they might if it is five dollars.

At the very least it is refreshing to see this idea gaining some traction -
should be interesting to see how they try to implement it.

Chris Clark