ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of March 7, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: DJ Golf <djgolf AT mindspring.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of March 7, 2008
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:09:28 -0700 (PDT)

Sightings' "Through The Panama" is my favorite record of 2008 so far.
It's kind of like the pop version of Swans' "Filth." Gtr bass &
drums, maxo distorto so you can't really even tell what's what but in
a good way. More melody & song structure than, say, Wolf Eyes
(really?) but not too much so. Vocals are a bit more restrained than
those of most of the US noise underground stuff - you can occasionally
understand a lyric or two. And they do a Scott Walker cover.

It's been a long time since I bought something directly as a result of
a review in the Independent, but this was just that.