ch-scene - Re: Slightly OT - Static IP Address

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Slightly OT - Static IP Address
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:21:59 -0500

Hmm, I thought most of the Dreamhost screwyness was a couple of years ago. I haven't had trouble on my box in a long time, anyway. But they've got more than one datacenter & a lot of boxen in each one. They do seem like slackasses, though . . . they "accidentally" double- or triple-billed people for their hosting accounts in January. They immediately realized it and reversed the charges, but still. Their monthly newsletter always contains some kind of "here's how we fucked up this month, har har" tidbit.

I find it kind of endearing, but then I'm a sysadmin in my dayjob, so . . .

GoDaddy are fucking evil, both in terms of the owner's psychosis, but more importantly because their support people are morons, even the smart ones. I wasted like 3 months trying to get to someone who could actually explain to me why their SMTP server was rejecting inbound messages . . . apparently some sort of anti-spam/anti-phishing thing they were doing which didn't like emails (such as my weekly stuff-to-do emails) that had more than X URLs in them. As if nobody ever sends a legitimate fucking email with an URL or two in it.

So, uh, what's the ratio of URL/text threshold? You don't know? Does anybody know? Um, OK, sure, fine, whatever, just let me enable/disable this service on a per-account basis. What, you mean that's not possible? Gee, thanks. Fuckwads.

Isn't there still some fool doing hosting/co-lo locally?

Ross

p.s. speaking of bizarre email situations, I think our friends at ibiblio have fixed the daily-digest feature. It has worked the past couple of days, anyway. If it works again today (after one final config tweak), then those of us who read via digest should get one around 11:05 or so.

Note that this has nothing to do with the Yahoo thing, which is still plagueing not only us, but any academic/government institution in central NC that uses the IP address range that UNC is on. I'll keep you posted on that crap as I get updates.

Ben Donnelly wrote:
I've had a RR fixed IP for a few years, it's been a bit of a struggle
to keep them fowarding ssh to MY box, as opposed to their router. But
I long ago offloaded website hosting to Dreamhost. Dreamhost has had
a bunch of screwups in the last year, though , and GoDaddy is an
excellent choice if you're into waterboarding Americas enemies. Any
one happy with other options?