ch-scene - Re: It's election season again . . .

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: cbcunc <ifoufo AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: It's election season again . . .
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 09:45:50 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 7, 6:50 pm, Will Hackney <willhac... AT gmail.com> wrote:
> we've been talking about this on the WXYC listserv. we're not terribly
> worried because the SBP doesn't actually have any jurisdiction over
> the radio station, so she can make statements, but nothing will
> actually change unless WYXC management or the DJs want it to.

Thanks for weighing in. I was wondering how XYC being a private
corporation could isolate them from these perennial idiots. (What's
the season on this kind of stuff, about once every ten years or so?)
But doesn't the SBP have the authority to appoint two XYC board
members (with Student Congress approval)? Is that purely at the
discretion of XYC's corporation? I know XYC gets 4% of student fees.
But that cut comes out before the remainder is passed onto the
shifting whims of student government. I'm hoping that also provides
some isolation from ill-advised tinkering.

Lauren Brenner must be one cool cucumber to have met with this
electioneering label rep and sent her away say things like, "Their
leadership shows they are excited about what students are doing on
campus." If that had been me, I'm sure I would have blown a fuse.

3