ch-scene - It's election season again . . .

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: It's election season again . . .
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 12:10:09 -0500

. . . time for student-body-president candidates to take pot-shots at college radio:

http://media.www.dailytarheel.com/media/storage/paper885/news/2008/02/07/Diversions/Left-Of.The.Dial-3192741.shtml

This one comes with a twist:

"UNC student body presidential candidate Kristin Hill said WXYC has "kind of lost touch with student interests."

Her campaign platform includes plans to work with the station to help it cater to more students, especially by working with other student organizations.

She met Monday with Brenner regarding their potential collaboration.

"They don't want to be detached from the student body - they're looking for a way back in," she said.

Hill also is a student representative for WEA, the parent company of Warner Bros. Records.

But she said her affiliation with the label has nothing to do with her interest in helping to make changes with WXYC.

Her interest in radio, she said, existed before she came to UNC, even though she has been working with WEA since only October.

And Hill said she doesn't see this as a conflict of interest; she is open to the possibility of collaboration between WEA and WXYC.

"Whatever we can do at Warner without overstepping boundaries of what WXYC can do - we can collaborate that way."