ch-scene - Re: This Week's Indy

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "hepstyle AT gmail.com" <hepstyle AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: This Week's Indy
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:47:10 -0800 (PST)

I had to go to the google group to find this gem...

On Jan 22, 1:17=A0pm, "johngree... AT gmail.com" <johngree... AT gmail.com>
wrote:
> What I don't get is: Clubs are closing .... and the Indy bemoans
> this.... while telling us not to go to shows, it's bizarre.... like
> they are a tabloid, Slime sells!!!

I don't know what the indy is telling us at all! That's one of my
problems. I mean, when a local band is playing a show that makes the
eh, whatever page, the writer usually points out that the local is
"the better of the bands". Where I get hung up is, what's the use in
trying to say the local band is good when you just got done basically
saying, "don't bother going to the show"? But the pointlessness of
the section is well established.

> =A0They are the source for music info in the triangle and it suck that
> they seem so limited in their interests...

They don't seem limited to me. Their top 35 was pretty diverse. They
review a wide variety of albums and they write up a bunch of shows.

> Grayson =A0seems to be the main instigator, =A0he has this real limited
> range of musical interests: =A0more focused on praising bands that snort
> coke and puke on stage, wear jeans they never wash..... the rush isn't
> the music but the amount of alcohol the crowd pounds down.... Maybe
> Grayson should consult with the bands and clubs before they decide to
> play here, =A0save us all some time and money...

I don't know what personal encounters you may have had with him that
inspired this, but I don't see it. I've had public and private
clashes with just about everyone who contributes to that section of
the Indy, and it's not about limited taste or hipsterosity. It
generally comes down to the fact that I'm not a writer and I don't
understand their ways. Again, it's well known that I would greatly
prefer to see an ad for teasers in that space. But it is what it is,
and enough time has passed for me to not care that much. I just tend
to notice the negative repercussions from time to time.

> I stopped reading his articles after the depressing one about a band
> called the weedeaters..... fuckin idiot
>
> The other writers - especially Rick Cornell - =A0and the mp3 links are
> all worth the effort.....

Wait, what effort?