ch-scene - Re: More Indy talk (Mansion 462)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: More Indy talk (Mansion 462)
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:36:38 -0800 (PST)

It's all true - although I guess I can't prove they pulled down my
fliers, but it's pretty suspicious when the kiosks are fairly bare mid-
week* except for their flyers - and their fliers are on top of mine.
So either, they put their fliers up and pulled down everything else OR
someone else pulled down all but a few of my fliers and then Mansions
came by and chose to cover up those few fliers instead of posting on
the newly available empty space. I guess i don't have pictures to
prove that happened, but trust me, it did.

If it were ethical, I'd share personal emails from Matt Barrett
(Poster Guys) who had a similar confrontation with an employee of
Mansions as I did - we both approached them independently within days
of each other, not realizing the other had noticed the same issue.

And then I have several myspace email exchanges with said Mansions
employee who was responsible. In fact, that employee admits doing it
and refused to stop - "it's guerilla marketing!" My favorite comment
was after several lengthy email exchanges, this person said something
to the degree that putting up fliers is what Mansions hires me to do,
and obviously I'm good at it, or we wouldn't be writing this emails to
each other.

Of course, I replied letting him know that we are writing these emails
for the opposite reason, that he is very bad at it! I wouldn't notice
otherwise.

I think that person was fired, and possibly other employees from that
time-frame, but not after several months of confrontational emails and
such (ie: he was fired because the shows weren't succeeding, not
because of his flier practice - if the DJ nights had done well, the
flier situation would still be an issue!) This is why I find this
disingenuous - the club did nothing to stop this practice at the time
- and now they want support from the very live music community they
chose to step-on just a few months ago.

glenn

* and this was the heart of the fall when posterguys were single-
handedly putting up fliers for 16 different 506 shows, not to mention
anything else that should have been up.