ch-scene - stuff to do, week of November 27, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of November 27, 2007
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:24:20 -0500

Hudson Falcons (http://www.hudsonfalcons.com/)
Echelon
First Wave
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, November 29
Bull City (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
Mingus Young (http://www.mingusyoung.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Bull City are a Crazy Horse-meets-Wilco-meets-Big Star kinda band from Durham, with extra guitar solos.

Friday, November 30
Jule Brown (http://www.julebrown.org)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the early (7:30) show.

Friday, November 30
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Gary B and the Notions (http://www.myspace.com/garybandthenotions)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Gary B & the Notions are from Baltimore, and that's all I can tell you. Hammer No More the Fingers are from Durham, and they're currently taking the Triangle by storm with their tight power-trio indierock.

Friday, November 30
The Cartridge Family (http://www.cartridge-family.com/)
Monty Warren
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Cartridge Family have a new album out, or on its way out, but I haven't heard it yet (dangit). I was a big fan of their debut, in all its sloppy Johnny Thunders/Keith Richards rock-n-rollism.

Friday, November 30
Blank_Blank
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruits)
Kaleidoscope Death
Summercamp Casanova
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Joe Norkus of Embarrassing Fruits said:

Subjective Collective showcase this Friday at the Nightlight. Performing will be:

Embarrassing Fruits: hooky indie rock with an early 90's feel. Josh from Butterflies will be tickling the bass strings on this night.

Blank Blank: noise pop with titles like "Party Poop" & "Old New Song" they are our best friends, and they could be your's too.

Summercamp Casanova: Erik from Blank Blank's side project, they are my new favorite GSO band.

Kaleidoscope Death: Chuck is the man, Chuck writes and records songs, Chuck puts at least 2 albums out every month just about. Lo-fi folk, that actually transcends the lo-fi folk thing.

Friday, November 30
Michael Holland (http://www.bigjohnsrecords.com)
The Wood Brothers (http://www.myspace.com/thewoodbrothers)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Michael Holland (ex-Jennyanykind) just released his third solo album, his second recorded with local bluegrass luminaries Big Fat Gap as his backing band. This one's his least freaky to date, although there is a ballad about Eric Rudolph.

Friday, November 30
Transistor Sun (http://www.transistorsun.net/)
Dead Confederate (http://www.deadconfederate.com)
All the Saints
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Friday, November 30
Fin Fang Foom (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html)
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Monsonia (http://www.monsonia.com)
Reservoir, Carrboro

This is an anniversary party for Reservoir, which means it's also sorta an anniversary for the demise of the nightclub portion of Go! Studios, which was (in hindsight, and despite all its flaws) probably the most important force in local music in the late 90s/early-00s. Worth celebrating any way.

As are the bands playing tonight, many members of which were instrumental in the running of Room 4. When you see 'em, in addition to thanking them for being in such great bands, thank 'em for everything else they've done for local music as well.

Saturday, December 1
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

This is a benefit for Bull City Headquarters, being held at the Coffeehouse, presumably, because the Coffeehouse is a tad bit bigger & has a better PA. It's being billed as the Great Band Swap because each of the 6 bands on the bill (Beloved Binge, Megafaun, eberhardt, Midtown Dickens, Future Kings of Nowhere, and Wigg Report) will be playing a 5-song set consisting entirely of songs by the other bands on the bill.

Saturday, December 1
Jeff Hart & the Damage Done (http://myspace.com/youngneilthedamagedone)
Meltzer-Hart
The Refusal to Mourn
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Jeff Hart provided this by way of elaboration:

"the refusal to mourn the death of a child, by fire, in london" is a new effort from tim sommer (glenn branca ensemble & hugo largo and his current durham group hi-fi-ski with alex maiolo). alex joins him in this group with sara bell and one other person whose name escapes me. tim describes this thusly:

"Post-aboriginal electric spacedrone". they go on at 9pm.

10pm - meltzer-hart is the full electric band version of a duo tom meltzer and i did a couple of valentines days back. (hence the convenient name). edmunds/lowe/nrbq/power pop influenced tunes with ken friedman on drums and jon shain on bass. you may remember tom from nyc's five chinese brothers and an early version of alice donut. holden richards will join in for a few seasonal tunes acoustically, leading up to ...

11pm - the damage done is a more edgy / pumped up electric guitar version of the material i wrote and performed with brown mountain lights. they double as my neil/crazy horse band, so expect at least a couple of those for good measure.

Saturday, December 1
DJs Mothersbrothers
Robo Sapien (http://www.gorobosapien.com/)
Jjak Hogan (http://www.myspace.com/jjakhogan)
Bass Invadurrz (http://www.myspace.com/bassinvadurrz)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, December 1
Dexter Romweber (http://www.dexterromweber.com)
The Spinns (http://www.thespinns.freeservers.com/)
Ghost Writer (http://www.ghostwriterband.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The Spinns seem to be on the whenever-we-feel-like-it reunion plan, which works for me. They're joined by Dexter Romweber, who earned his lifetime garage/rockabilly achievement award by the time he was 18, and has spent the subsequent 20+ years exploring the 100 years of American music on either side of that.

Sunday, December 2
Hundred Air (http://www.myspace.com/hundredair)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Hundred Air is the country-tinged pop band assembled by Adam Price (ex-Comas, ex-Mayflies USA) when he returned to NC from the west coast recently. They kinda remind me of former Triangle resident Jeremy Chatelain's Cub Country, and coincidentally enough, Cub Country's guitarist Jeff Clarke has been playing with Hundred Air.

Tune in at 5:00 p.m, 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, December 2
Tartufi (http://www.tartufirock.net/)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Tuesday, December 4