ch-scene - This Week at NL :::::::::::::>>>>>>>>>>>

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Ryan Martin" <rymars AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: This Week at NL :::::::::::::>>>>>>>>>>>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:56:06 -0500

NIGHTLIGHT WEEK MMMMMVII

Tonight! TUESDAY 11.27.07 ::::::::::::::in meer minutes

Some strange strings (and hiphop?) from Athens, GA's

KILLICK <<< who self-describes "I'm Killick of Athens, Georgia. I
doggedly chase extemporaneity. I play some quasi-guitars and the
H'arpeggione, an upright acoustic instrument with sympathetic strings.
My style blends primitive folk, beloved metal, and sacred musics from
around the world into a doomy/pretty/physically exhausting voice. I've
had the good fortune to play with countless amazing musicians as I
hop, skip, and leap throughout this fair land of ours. I'm comin'-a
getcha" http://www.myspace.com/iamkillick

plus an unknown-quantity (to me) ensemble called

NATION FAMILY + GOD

v. intriguing!

Show starts 9:30PM / / it's 5$
+++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++
++++++++

WEDNESDAY 11.28.07 :::::::::::::

ATHENS BOYS CHOIR <<< the press hype: "Ok, the name Athens Boys Choir
can be a bit deceiving but you can't blame a Jewish Transsexual man
living in the Deep South for having a sense of humor about the whole
ordeal. So Katz, the Choir's now solo member, travels the country
speaking "the good word" throwing down hard hitting spokenword that
deals with issues of Gender, Politics, Love, Sex, and everything
in-between including but not limited to spooning. Katz's spokenword is
raw, unapologetic, witty, and soulful. As Out Magazine wrote in 2006,
"Katz avoids falling into the common spoken-word trap…and instead uses
engaging wordplay, razor-sharp wit, and hip-hop rhythms." He has had
the honor of sharing the stage with such artists as Ani Difranco,
Indigo Girls, Bitch, The Butchies, Danielle Howle, and Michelle
Malone. He has also opened for poets of HBO's Def Poetry Jam on more
than one occasion. Being a out Transsexual, Katz's spoken-word often
becomes a platform for education and activism, but all work and no
play makes for one intense performance so he lets loose with sarcasm,
pop culture references, and video's featuring Barbara Streisand as
Yentl and sassy footwork by the stars of the 1979 hit "Roller
Boogie"." myspace.com/athensboyschoir

ANATURALE <<< Dirty south queer trans-positive hip hop on the M-I-C!
myspace.com/anaturale

RAMBO MAGIC <<<more loose XYC-affliated live concepts enacted by mems
of Hispanic Dance Club

Show starts 9:30PM / / / It's $$$$5$$$$$$$$$$$$$FIVEBUCKS

++++++++++++
++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++

THURSDAY 11.29.07 :::::::::

LYLAS <<< "lylas is a band from nashville, tennessee. kyle hamlett
writes and sings songs, mostly soft and intricately crafted. subtle
instruments of colour offer accompaniment to his unique fingerstyle
guitar and ukulele plucking. banjo, pedal steel guitar, double bass,
theremin, glockenspiel, cello, accordion, and hushed background vocals
name a few. traditional american songcraft infused with a baroque
sense of melody and a hint of the southern gothic offers a clue.
please solve." lylas.net

KELLY SHAE HICKS

SOUNDS OF SINGLES <<< Gerald John of Durham playing "songs of
desolation and lonliness on broken down instruments". He used to play
lap steel beautifully in Mount Moriah and just recently returned to
the Source by releasing an entire goldarned lovely-packaged seven inch
of Bob Seeger covers. sevenandt.com

This show will most likely have a nice warm er a wethered vibe.
Starts at 9:30 / / It's 5$$$

+++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++

FRIDAY 11.30.07 ::::::::::SUBJECTIVE COLLECTIVE SHOWCASE featuring

EMBARASSING FRUITS
BLANK_BLANK
SUMMER CONGO CASSANDRA
KALEIDOSCOPE DEATH

GSO label shows wares w/ multiple indie pop rock young rock upstart
acts (one shared w/ Chapel Hill's TREKKY RECs) total gaggle of
soon-to-be decimated youth, partying together with one voice united,
limbs stretched, faces contorted, waterdrops on burning rocks. YEZ!

www.subjectivecollective.com for more infos

10PM / / $6 ++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SATURDAY 12.1.07 :::::::oh shit this is how I want to end my
week:::::: FREQUENC RECORDS double 12" Release party

w/

JJAK HOGAN <<< Augusta GA's HYPE left-field hiphop freaks, real wild
live show, NEW 12" Out
BASS INVADURZ <<< Jaak Hogan's production team, electro jams
http://www.myspace.com/bassinvadurrz
ROBOSAPIEN <<<queer, hype disco/hiphop, you've probably seen them and
they're way fun
JUAN HUEVOS <<<MCing it tonight
DJs MOTHERSBROTHERS <<< FrequeNC heads, it's hard to keep coming up
with new ways to describe how much we love them really. Trying this
now: <3<3<3<3

Don't miss!

Starts 10PM / / It's 5$

NIGHTLIGHT is at 405 1/2 W Rosemary St CHAPEL HILL NC
nightlightclub.com

PEACE + LOVE
NL

  • This Week at NL :::::::::::::>>>>>>>>>>>, Ryan Martin, 11/27/2007