ch-scene - A little off topic but I thought you should know...

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Monkey Boy" <monkeyboythom AT gmail.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Beautiful Red <beautiful.red AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: A little off topic but I thought you should know...
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 18:28:52 -0400

Yesterday the US Senate fell short by the count of 56 to 43 (with one
abstention) of restoring Habeas Corpus, the fundamental constitutional
right of individuals to challenge government detention, which the
Republican Congress revoked in last year's Military Commissions Act.
Sixty votes are required for a majority (three fifths), so the measure
failed by four votes.

Would you like to know how our old North State twosome voted?
Burr (R-NC), Nay Dole (R-NC), Nay

There is half of the four right there. It makes me resentful when
congress gets their panties all in a bunch when the FBI raided William
Jefferson's office (Louisiana congressman who is looking to be
convicted of some major bribery charges.) and said that that act was
unconstitutional and wrongful when they themselves are unwilling to
give us normal schmoes the basic right to be released from unlawful
imprisonment.

And it makes me steamed too that John Edwards bailed on his duty as a
duly elected Senator to further his ambitions at the cost of us being
one of stepping stones. But then again, I'm not sure how he would have
voted and the point is basically rhetorical anyway.

Sorry to harsh your Thursday buzz. Go eat your hot dog.

-Thom

--
Less talk. More monkey.
Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it