ch-scene - Re: Eh, Whatever

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "5er (martin)" <mdhall005 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Eh, Whatever
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 14:45:24 -0700 (PDT)

Chiming in late, when I probably shouldn't chime in at
all...

I too found the new (?? I'm honestly not sure how long
it has been running??) "Eh, Whatever" section of show
previews in the Indy to be a bit silly. I really
don't see the point of telling people what shows not
to go to, when you could use the space to cover a
couple of more shows that you think they *should* be
going to. As Glenn mentioned, if you don't think a
show is worth seeing, don't mention it. That carries
plnety of weight on it own. Silence is golden.

Otherwise it just comes off as snarky and/or some sort
of inside joke.
Or maybe...god forbid...ironic?? (!!!) Which sadly,
is what a lot music "journalism" seems to consist of
these days.

I also agree with whoever asked what the point or
clarity was in reviewing a show before it happens?
How about more well written live reviews to tell folks
what they are missing?

The INdy does not necessarily need to be a cheerleader
in all of their music coverage. There is plenty of
room for critical coverage in reviews and features,
which I would love to see more of. I just don't know
if a show preview is the best place to flex those
muscles.

Please note that I'm not posting this as an employee
of the record label who's band was one of those
slighted in the "Eh, Whatever" column last week. I'm
just posting as a long time member of the amch
community and longtime observer of the scene, the
Independent's place in it, etc.
Or something.

Besides, we all know that the weakest link in the
Merge chain has always been Polvo. (ha!)

But still I am left to amuse myself by wondering,
rhetorically, if the music editor of the Independent
is going to let someone from Merge write the show
preview the next time one of the bands on his label
plays a show locally. Equal time and all...

Zing!

;-)

-5er "who always tells his bands that there's no such
thing as bad press"

--- Glenn Boothe / Local 506
<glennscottboothe AT gmail.com> wrote:

> indy for every touring band that comes down the
> pike is
> just as boring as reading the snarks and disses in
> the indy.
>
> I would agree IF this were true. But they do not
> cover every single
> show. Believe me, as a club owner, I do take it as
> a diss if a show
> I've booked is not written about. Now granted, most
> people wouldn't
> notice - but I do, and I know most bands do.
>
> Heck, this is how I found out about this section to
> begin with - when
> one of the members of the touring entourage that
> played last week
> pointed out the write-up of one of the bands on the
> bill - Stars of
> Track & Field. To paraphase their response - "the
> band must have done
> something personally to the writer to piss them off
> that badly."
> Little did I know at the time that my response
> should have been 'no,
> this is something they do on a weekly basis!"
>
> With that said, most people who read the music
> section pick up the
> Indy for guidance on their nightlife. Heck, it says
> that right on the
> cover - "1000 Things To Do."
>
> glenn
>
> -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors
> alt.music.chapel-hill --

"A boy wants a car from his dad.
Dad says, first you got to cut that hair.
Boys says, hey dad Jesus had long hair.
Dad says, That's right son, and Jesus walked everywhere."
- David Berman/The Silver Jews

FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/