ch-scene - Re: ..speakers?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: ..speakers?
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 13:43:21 -0400

I encounter far more tube amps being used for guitar than solid state. Tubes are still the de facto standard for guitar amps, at least from where I'm sitting. You can find plenty of tube bass amps, too, but solid state is more common. To a much lesser extent, there are some hi-fi enthusiasts who like stereo tube amps for listening to music. A lot of those guys are also DIY enthusiasts and end up building their own. There's also recording equipment that still uses tubes--because folks like the sound. There are many flavors of current production tube based microphone preamps and compressors out there, although the majority are solid state.
I'll probably end up building some tube guitar amplifiers and mic preamps at some point. I have most of the parts to build a Vox AC30 into an old Peavey chassis, but I haven't figured out how I'm going to wedge it in there yet. It might not fit, actually. The transformers ended up being friggin' enormous. I had no idea.

Around 70% of the world's supply of new vacuum tubes is produced in a single factory in Russia, owned by New Sensor Corp (Electro-Harmonix, Sovtek, etc....). The Russian mob tried to take it over pretty recently. The owner fought hard and seems to have won for now:

http://www.stereophile.com/news/052206tubes/
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/16/business/worldbusiness/16cheat.html?ex=1175140800&en=c74d68afc461b3a0&ei=5070
http://swan.he.net/~tapeop/viewtopic.php?t=34552&highlight=russian+mafia

Phil, I was making fun of you because your post was such a non sequitur--even an explanatory sentence or two would have put that into some context. I decided to leave the guy looking for garage in London to someone else.

chris

Jeremy Blair wrote:

That reminds me of a couple of years ago when I bought a tube amp from
guitar center. I was showing it off to my non-musician friends and
they were all like, "you can still buy tube amps?" I think the
majority of people think that tube amps are a relic of the classic
rock era and aren't being made anymore.

I see a ton of Fender DeVilles and Deluxes on stage these days..a few
Marshall stacks from the big spenders and an occasional Vox. We're
talking about tube amps at this point right?