ch-scene - Re: Digital Voice Recorders - exene

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ben Davis <ben_dontspamme_davis AT unc.edu>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Digital Voice Recorders - exene
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:43:35 -0500

Man - off topic but -
One time my band Bats & Mice opened for Exene at a small club in
Michigan - after we finished - we loaded our gear outside - into our van
- and then sat on the hood of our van and watched a few songs of Exene's
though the windows that were at about stage level - looking right at the
stage -
keep in mind - we played DIRECTLY before her - she was watching us -

so she then from the stage starts telling the crowd "Look at this
mutherf*ckers out on the van, watching from outside - too cheap to buy
a 6$ ticket"

We laughed and waved. She did again a song or two later - then starts
yelling at us - through closed windows - "Cheap bastards, why don't you
come in and buy a ticket"

We finally got down off the van because she kept interrupting her own
show to heckle us - went in - sat at the merch tables and re-introduced
ourselves to her when she was done - her band (this was around 2002 - so
I'm thinking it was the original sinners?) apologized and was cool - She
seemed annoyed that we were even alive -

ahhh rock stars