ch-scene - Re: custom musician earplugs

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Mick du Roque <mnick AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: custom musician earplugs
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:05:00 GMT

I have some and they are called UltimateEars. Here is their site:

http://www.ultimateears.com/custom/Musician-Earplugs.htm

The place I got them is in Raleigh... ENT & Audiology. It's off of Blue
Ridge Road near the Fairgrounds. The Audiologist is Dr. Jenny Head. Here
is their site:

http://www.entandaudiology.com

I have the 25 dB model. You can change just the filters so you can
conceivably have multiple levels of protection with just one set of
inserts.

The Audiologist make casts of your ear canal. They then send that off to
UltimateEars and you get your earplugs back in a week or so. The
cast-making procedure is a little weird. She squirts this gunk in your
ear that takes about ten minutes to harden before she pulls it out. It a
strange sensation but not unpleasant. They give you some water-based
lubricant with them for a super tight seal.

I forgot them when I went to Atlanta to play a show and had to wear the
dreaded foam plugs. Everything sounded wrong.

There is an adjustment period and singing will be weird at first because
you REALLY can hear yourself. Weirdly you can start to hear things that
you couldn't without them in a loud situation. I can hear the phone ring
at 506 at the sound board when a band is playing even when the bartender
cannot and he is standing right by the phone!

Hope this helps!

http://www.stratocruisermusic.com