ch-scene - Re: Quiz time

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: John I <not AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Quiz time
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 16:04:18 GMT

James Hepler wrote:

> I've racked my feeble brain enough. I've exhausted
> internet searches. Now I ask the oracle.
>
> What was the name of the band from 15 or so years ago,
> out of Winston Salem, who did the song "Sharon Tate"?
> I think they became Two Pound Planet. And there might
> be a relationship in there somewhere with a band
> called The Breakfast Club.
>
> I swear, it's on the tip of my skull. It's also
> somewhere in my CD collection, but I don't know where
> because I can't remember the damn band's name.
>
> Thanks, oracle.

You've probably already been down this road, but here's a link that popped up
after googling "two pound planet sharon tate"

http://tinyurl.com/y8fca2

and here's the credits from TPP's "Whispering Delicious"

"Two Pound Planet (Main Performer), Tom Shaw, Jerry Chapman, Jason Buss,
Jerry Finley"

via http://www.answers.com/topic/whispering-delicious

Now, via "The Breakfast Club's" myspace page

(http://www.myspace.com/thebreakfastclubrocks)

we find the following member list:

Jerry Finley: drums, vocals
Steve Campbell: bass, vocals
Mike Mundy: keyboards, vocals
DavayRay: guitar, vocals

A simple Venn diagram shows us that the intersection of the two sets is
populated by one Jerry Finley.

Unfortunately, this does not solve the mystery of what "TPP" was before they
were TPP, but it looks like "Sharon Tate" came out under their label.