ch-scene - Re: Charlotte

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Charlotte
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 10:22:08 -0400

The downtown/arts-and-crafts branch of the Mint Museum has some crazy glass sculpture, and the main branch is opening the traveling exhibit of American stuff from the Corcoran: http://www.themintmuseums.org/

The Corcoran stuff includes Frederic Church's utterly mindblowing "Niagara":

http://www.themintmuseums.org/exhibit_artwork.php?item_id=378

It's like 7 1/2 feet long. It was at the NCMA ~10 years ago & slew all those who gazed upon it, though I can't find the a.m.c-h discussion that I vaguely recall us having about it.

Not exactly ball-of-twine material, but a few notches above chamber-of-commerce.

Beyond that, I think there's a Country Doctor Museum in Mint Hill; always good for a larf.

Otherwise, you can just drive around Downtown Charlotte and marvel at how much it resembles the interior of a mall.

Ross

thegav AT hotmail.com wrote:
Hello, all. I'm headed to Charlotte this weekend for a wedding--staying
in the University area, I think. I haven't been there in, like, 10
years so the big question is: anybody got any tips for daytime
sightseeing-type things to do while I'm there?

If it helps, I'm more World's Largest Ball of Tin Foil than whatever is
on the Chamber of Commerce-approved list of sights. Also worth noting
that I'll have my kids with me so bar recommendations will go sadly
unused.

Help me dispel my own continuing perception of Charlotte as The City of
Lending Institutions, won't you?

Many thanks,
GAVIN