ch-scene - Re: Massive bolt of lightning strikes near me as I listen to Slayer

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Rawls nospam" <rawlsnospam AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Massive bolt of lightning strikes near me as I listen to Slayer
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:58:37 -0400

From: djgolf AT mindspring.com

BTW, am I the only person who thinks "Reign In Blood" hasn't aged all
that well and even sounds a little, I dunno, light compared to "God
Hates Us All?"

In the early '90's I would implore those interested that Rush's best
albums were Presto and their follow up Roll the Bones (I oddly enough
thought Slayer's best album at the time was South of Heaven)...I've always
liked ALL Rush and I've kind of gone back at times to liking Fly By Night at
2112 the most, but I understand DJ Golf's situation and I thought long and
hard about his question.

On this very list I recall making a wiseacre comment on 9/11 that
Slayer's new album (released that day) was entitled God Hates Us All. I
only listened to it once start to finish. I recall liking it a bit more
than their '94 and '98 studio releases (there was a punk covers album in
their somewhere that was fine as well).

I appreciated the way in which Araya decided the lyrics would be more
straightforward, no allegory or imagery. Instead of something to the effect
of "evil departure shall vitiate your soul.." he literally yells, "I want to
rip your fucking arms off!"

But I have to say Reign in Blood isn't even 30 minutes long, never
really lets up and those songs stand out a bit more live...I guess that
album was more of an introduction of Slayer to me twenty years ago. The
production was an improvement from their prior stuff and I liked that it was
on the same label as LL Cool J.

I guess if I really made it a point to listen to Slayer all of the time
istead of just waiting to come across it on the radio or going to see them
live I'd probably tire of the Reign In Blood, South of Heaven, and Seasons
in the Abyss trinity...so yeah God Hates Us All would offer up some um, new
blood...but I listen to Masonna intentionally a lot so...

Rawls