ch-scene - Re: Stuff to Do, week of May 19, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Stuff to Do, week of May 19, 2006
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 17:01:16 -0400

Holy crap, I just got around to listening to some of the bands coming through this week. Nomo (Monday, Local 506, with His Name Is Alive) are freaking excellent gritty/funky large-band (well, 8 people, at least) Afrobeat.

The website says: "On New Tones home-made Detroit electronics and huge horn sections blast big band funk and riotous jazz. NOMO’s roots are firmly planted in the fertile soil of African polyrhythm and American free jazz, and bandleader Elliot Bergman’s tracks draw inspiration from cultures and generations wildly different than his home setting. . . .
“The New Tones recordings are more intricate and nuanced than anything we’ve released,” says Bergman. “The record features an arsenal of homemade percussion including the “electric sawblade-gamelan”, “no-tone” shakers, and the “Nu-Tone cymbals”,” he adds."

http://www.nomomusic.com/newtones.htm

It just hadn't occurred to me that HNIA would be touring with an 8-piece Afrobeat band, but Warn Defever produced their new record, so there you go.

I may have to haul my creaky ass down to the 506 (on a Monday, even) to see this.

Ross