ch-scene - Stuff to Do, week of May 19, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to Do, week of May 19, 2006
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 15:07:58 -0400

Bye-Bye Sames!

------------------------------------

Fri - Sat May 19-20
Soundscape Movement Fest
http://www.soundscapefest.org/

Soundscape Movement Fest is an ambitious collaboration between local dance and
improv-music folks. The shows are at the following times and places (there are also
workshops; more info about all of this is at the website):

Friday, May 19:
Local 506 - 9:00 p.m.

Saturday, May 20:
Carrboro ArtsCenter - 8:00 p.m.
Nightlight - 10:00 p.m.

Friday, May 19
Pleasant ( http://www.pleasantmusic.com ) , The Sames (
http://www.thesames.com ) , The Rosebuds ( http://www.therosebuds.com/
) , Schooner ( http://www.schoonermusic.com ) , Audubon Park (
http://audubonpark.blogspot.com )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

The show of the season, and it's free, even. 'tis bittersweet, of
course, because the occasion is the demise of the Sames, who're
calling it quits after ~4-5 years, and at least three times that many
perfect noisepop songs. Measure the esteem in which they're held
locally via this lineup:

Rosebuds
Schooner
Pleasant
North Elementary
Audubon Park
The Torch Marauder
Pox Family Singers

Put simply: Don't miss this show.

Friday, May 19
AOK ( http://www.myspace.com/aoknc ) , Deep Sea Diving (
http://www.myspace.com/deepseadiving ) , Across the Elementary (
http://www.myspace.com/acrosstheelementary ) , State Park, European
Ambulance
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

I think Across the Elementary, Deep Sea Diving & AOK are all young
Triangle bands who share overlapping membership, but I can't quite
suss out all the details. Note that this show has been moved to
Nightlight from wherever it may have been before.

Friday, May 19
Twilighter ( http://www.twilighterband.com/ ) , Glissade (
http://www.myspace.com/glissade )
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, May 19
Oakley Hall ( http://www.oakleyhall.net/ ) , TV Knife (
http://www.myspace.com/tvknife ) , The Longshoremen
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, May 20
The Apes ( http://www.selfstarterfoundation.com/apes.html ) , Liars (
http://www.liarsliarsliars.com/ ) , Deerhunter (
http://www.notownsound.net/deerhunter/ )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, May 20
Evil Wiener ( http://www.evilwienerworld.com/ ) , Bombshell
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Evil Wiener you know about: they've been making utterly charming &
naive popmusic (but with a decidedly sinister undertone) for the past
12-14 years or so. They are a North Carolina Treasure, and it's about
time that somebody from Raleigh awarded them some kind of certificate
testifying to that.

Bombshell are a new supergroup of old fogeys; at present I don't
recall all the fogeys involved, but I know that two of them are Danny
Hooley (Ugly Americans, Orange Driver) and Sarah Reichman (Cat Toy).

Saturday, May 20
Monsonia ( http://www.monsonia.com ) , Black Skies (
http://www.myspace.com/losblackskies )
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Black Skies evolved from a band called The Man; they make Heavy Rock
that's rendered heavier by the fact that their frontman is
ex-Smearcase singer / Cradle doorman Kevin Clark, who never met an
Iggy Pop he didn't like.

Sunday, May 21
Mark Kozelek ( http://www.sunkilmoon.com/ ) , Warren Gently (
http://www.myspace.com/warrengently )
The Flying Anvil, Greensboro

Sunday, May 21
Seth Kauffman ( http://www.sethkauffman.com/ ) , Tyler Ramsey (
http://www.tylerramsey.com/ )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Seth Kauffman used to be in an Asheville band called the Choosy
Beggars. He recently released a solo album called "Ting" that's crazy
low-fi bedroom/four-track swamp-funk; he's apparently put together a
band of Asheville scene all-stars to play the stuff live.

Sunday, May 21
The Vibe Killers ( http://www.myspace.com/vibekillers )
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

The Vibe Killers are the bar-rock band fronted by ex-Backsliders
singer Chip Robinson.

Sunday, May 21
Conshafter ( http://www.conshafter.com/ ) , Wheatus (
http://www.wheatus.com/ ) , Breaking Laces (
http://www.breakinglaces.com )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, May 22
Michelle Tea ( http://www.purpleglitter.com/michelle_tea/ )
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is an early (7:00 p.m.) reading by Nth-wave feminist
writer/spoken-word artist Michelle Tea.

Monday, May 22
Thrones (
http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0011/music-driver.shtml ) ,
Unstable Ensemble ( http://www.family-vineyard.com/ ) , Growing (
http://www.growingsound.com/ )
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thrones are the solo outfit of Joe Preston, who played bass in the
Melvins (which I guess makes him the heaviest dude on earth, right
there) and then went on to play bass for other stoner/drone/sludge
bands as SunnO))), Earth & High on Fire.

Growing are also psych/stoner heavy-drone; Unstable Ensemble are
avant/improv "jazz" from right here, and they feature members of
Micro-East Collective & I dunno who else.

Monday, May 22
His Name Is Alive ( http://www.hisnameisalive.com/ ) , Nomo (
http://www.nomomusic.com/ ) , Henry Sparrow (
http://www.myspace.com/henrysparrow )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, May 23
Chest Pains ( http://www.myspace.com/thechestpains ) , Gorman St.
Sluts ( http://www.myspace.com/piratepunks ) , My War (
http://www.myspace.com/mywar )
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

Chaz's weeknight shows start at like 8:30, so step lively. Chest Pains
are from the Triangle & they make the kind of punkrock that's made by
mumbly old men who love the Circle Jerks. They're named for the
results of singer/bassist Greg Barbera's Sudafed overdose, for
chrissake. Now *that's* hardcore.

Gorman St. Sluts pretty much gotta be from Raleigh, and I think My War
are from Richmond.

Tuesday, May 23
Gray Young, Lismore ( http://www.lismoremusic.com/ ) , The 303s (
http://www.the303s.com/ )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, May 23
Amish Jihad ( http://www.myspace.com/amishjihad ) , Ruscha (
http://www.myspace.com/ruscha ) , Legion of the Fallen (
http://www.myspace.com/legionofthefallen )
Reservoir, Carrboro

This is what it says on the Legion of the Fallen [*>
http://www.myspace.com/legionofthefallen <*] MySpace page:

"Legion of the Fallen started in early 2002, in the attic of a Chapel
Hill based car repair shop. The original members included: Justin
grimm (lead vocals/ bass guitar,) Archie Hunt (rhythym guitars/
backing vocals,) Walter Vila (lead guitars,) and Aaron Spell (drums/
backing vocals). The initial musical sound of the band was thrash and
death metal based but with the influence of Spell and Grimm, in time
changed into the melody driven black metal it is today. . . . In mid
2004 Spell was charged with 3 counts of armed robbery. The crime was
in large part due to his out of control drug and alcohol problem. The
band knew that this was serious and set out to play numerous benefit
shows for Spell in order to raise money for a much needed lawyer.
Spell eventually learned that in his case a lawyer could do very
little and opted to use the money for a new recording. A true sign of
devotion to his music."

Tuesday, May 23
snmnmnm ( http://www.snmnmnm.com/ ) , Say Hi To Your Mom (
http://www.sayhitoyourmom.com/ ) , Shakermaker (
http://shakermaker.org/ )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, May 24
Alvarez Painting ( http://www.trekkyrecords.com/alva/index.html ) ,
Cities ( http://www.citiesmusic.com ) , An Epic at Best (
http://www.anepicatbest.com/ )
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, May 24
Second Husband ( http://www.secondhusband.org/ ) , White Tiger and the
Bed of Roses ( http://www.myspace.com/tigersandroses )
Reservoir, Carrboro

I'm told that White Tiger and the Bed of Roses contains members of
Wilmington's mighty Thunderlip.

Wednesday, May 24
Polynya ( http://home.mindspring.com/~polynya/index.html ) , The
Assault (on Rock) ( http://www.theassaultonrock.com/ ) , Extra Blue