ch-scene - Re: Day trippin to Coltrane's house

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Day trippin to Coltrane's house
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 08:06:59 -0400

You still have a week and a half to see "Uneasy Nature" at the Weatherspoon at UNC-G: http://weatherspoon.uncg.edu/exhibitions/default.asp

The website is completely useless as far as giving you an idea of what it's about, but it's basically a half-dozen or so contemporary artists dealing with fears about the collision of nature & technology. Mostly sculpture. Some of it's really fucking creepy & some of it's really fucking great & some of those are the same. This is the best art show I've seen in NC in like a year.

Examples (not all photos you find at these sites are of stuff in the show, but you get the idea:
http://www.scaithebathhouse.com/main/03exhibition/data/LeeBul/en.html
http://www.lehmannmaupin.com/artists/bryancrockett/
http://patriciapiccinini.net/natureslittlehelpers/shows/11Undivided/hires/20Undivided.jpg
http://www.jamescohan.com/artists/roxypaine/index.html

Roxy Paine, in addition to his entirely lifelike models of deadly fungi & rotting vegetables, has lately been doing gigantic stainless-steel trees: http://www.jamescohan.com/files/83f1b1db.jpg

I didn't realize it was going to be up for so long or I would've encouraged more people to go see it.

Looks like you *are* too late to see the Julie Heffernan show there (she was the visiting artist this spring), which is too bad, as her stuff is amazing.

There was an article about this place, which I'd never heard of, in the Indy 2 weeks ago: http://www.elsewhereelsewhere.org/

If you're going to be out & about in Winston-Salem and you find yourself in need of a cold beverage, you should try to stop in at the Werehouse - they've got a coffee/beer bar, Krankies, that's open fairly long hours daily, and they'd appreciate your support: http://www.thewerehouse.com/

And in the little room behind Krankies, they've got a gallery space that they've usually got stocked with something weird: http://electricmoustache.com/

Food-wise, Mary's Of Course in Winston-Salem is the place to go if you're not having BBQ (breakfast/lunch only): http://www.marysofcourse.com/

If you *are* having BBQ, then Little Richard's on Country Club is my fave BBQ in the Triad, I think.

xo

Ross

Todd Morman wrote:
> this one here?:
>
> http://www.highpointmuseum.org/index.cfm

That's the one. I think we talked about it here when they were trying to get
sponsors to buy piano keys. High Point has finally gotten around to doing
right by the guy; there's a commemorative marker near his boyhood home
there, too. There's also a neat graffiti-esque exhibit at SECCA right now:
http://www.secca.org/exhibitions.html, including 'Motion Barn' by the
Barnstormers. High Point also has Mendenhall Plantation, a Quaker stop on
the underground railroad that bills itself as part of "'The Other South' of
19th century dissenters" - http://www.mendenhallplantation.org/. I wouldn't
mind seeing what's probably NC's only remaining fake-bottom wagon for
transporting escaped slaves:
http://www.mendenhallplantation.org/More%20on%20Wagon.htm.

That's probably enough to start things off, but if anyone has other
suggestions for cool things to see around that part of the state, feel free.
I figure we can take a Saturday or Sunday, leave the Triangle early and
wander, hitting as many of those as we can before heading home that night.
Anyone else up for something like that? Weather's perfect for it.

todd we will of course be stopping at the world's largest chest of drawers
morman