ch-scene - Re: good ethnic food in Durham/RTP area

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: bendy <bendy AT duke.edu>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: good ethnic food in Durham/RTP area
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:08:33 -0500

grady wrote:
There's also a new Thai place (Thai Cafe? maybe that's the one you've already been to -- it's Brand New)

Thai Cafe is real good- I've been twice. First time on their third day- the owners were there, a couple who'd run three or four Thai places in Atlanta. They'd just retired, but a relative attending Duke convinced them that Durham needed a Thai place. They're hanging around, living collectively with Thai nationals they brought over, until the place is running smoothly. I did a phone order a few weeks later, and there was some language barrier, so we didn't get exactly what we wanted, but it was still yummy.

right down the street, as well as an Indian joint
just up the street the other way. Hepler?

Kashmir is decent too, though not flat-out-wow like Sitar, a short jaunt away. Pakoras are very good, Tandoori is fine. And they deliver.

I'll add another vote for Chai's on Erwin. Its great deal- kinda like a low-budget Pao Lim- excellent ingredients, and a pan Asian approach. The tempura udon is my favorite.

- bendy