ch-scene - Re: Stuff to Do, Week of February 16, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Stuff to Do, Week of February 16, 2006
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 03:01:32 -0500

Once I finish writing the script, it'll update itself nightly & only contain music by the bands with upcoming shows. Only reason it's not doing that now is that I was busy today with tomfoolery.

& here are my thoughts on archiving/whatever, more or less as they occurred to me as I was thinking it through this past week:

1) fucking MySpace, it's hard-to-impossible to link straight to the MP3s, so I gotta download them locally
2) likewise, some band websites are flakier than others
3) SO I'm gonna download all this shit & put it on ibiblio.org so I can have a fairly reliable share-point with a decent pipe
4) however, space at ibiblio.org is decidedly finite, and
5) some bands rotate mp3s off their sites & put up new ones, and maybe some subset of them do that for some odd reason & wouldn't want the older ones just floating around forever (though clearly there's nothing to stop people from downloading & saving them forever)
6) I haven't (nor do I intend to) asked anybody about any of this
7) I'm already probably running afoul of the DMCA's provisions about internet radio or whatever, and I'm broke enough already.

All of these factors led me to the conclusion that I'll treat the player like a pseudo-stream; you can right-click the songs in the playlist & save them locally via the interface, actually, and you can also view the source on the page & grab the XML playlist file (didja notice that the schema is another fine Xiph product? I love those people; now if they'd just finish Theora . . .) but once I rotate something off it, it's likely gone until the next time that band plays a local show, at which point it may be that song, & it may be a different song, I dunno.

I think that means "sorry, no pony." Remember back when radio originated at the radio station & flowed through the air & came out your radio at wherever you were, and hung in the air a moment & then was gone? Think of it kind of like that, only with a pause button, and the name of the band & song spelled out for you.

xo

Ross

p.s. thanks for the nice words about the set itself, particularly since I just arranged the stuff in rough sequence of the actual shows as they're happening this week, and the selection of who to include was based entirely on who had MP3s readily downloadable, and whether the MySpace mp3 download server was horked at that moment or not. Thank the club bookers, and entropy, and the bands.

Chris Calloway wrote:

And now that playlist has been replaced by an updated
one. Have you saved the old playlist? It would be good
to have an archive of playlists available if this
thing is going to be updated frequently.

I guess if you do one good turn, people just expect
more, huh? Anyway, give me this pony and I won't ask
for anything else for awhile.

3